Grab and Go Bars
¾ cup margarine
½ cup brown sugar
¼ cup peanut butter
½ cup honey
1 tsp vanilla
2 cups chocolate chips
1 cup chopped dried apricots
1 cup raisins
1 cup wheat germ
1 cup coconut
2/3 cup rolled oats
½ cup sliced almonds ½ cup chopped walnuts
Preheat oven to 325o Melt margarine over low heat. Add brown sugar, peanut butter, honey and vanilla. Stir well to blend. Set aside and once cool, whisk in the egg. In large bowl, combine all remaining ingredients. Pour margarine mixture over top and stir well. Two options for baking: 1. Press into greased 9” x 13” pan and bake for 45 minutes. Cool well before cutting. NB: these are really hard to cut. 2. Line muffin tins with paper liners and fill each about ½ way, pressing dough firmly. Bake for 20 minutes. Yield: about 30 bars. These freeze well.
• 1 and ¼ cups crisp rice cereal
• 1 cup packed soft dates soaked in 1 cup of hot water
• 1 cup uncooked quick-cooking oats
• 2 tablespoons ground flaxseed (flaxseed meal)
• ¼ cup finely chopped dried fruit (e.g., raisins, dried cranberries, dried cherries, etc.)
• ¼ cup finely chopped nuts or seeds (pepitas are great)
• ⅓ cup maple syrup or brown rice syrup (or honey if not strictly vegan)
• ½ cup nut or seed butter of your choice (e.g., peanut butter, almond butter, sunflower seed butter)
• 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
• Optional: ½ teaspoon ground cinnamon Instructions 1. Combine the rice cereal, oats, flaxseed meal, dried fruit, and nuts in a large bowl.
2. Combine the syrup and nut butter in a small saucepan over medium heat, stirring until melted and well-blended (alternatively microwave in small microwave-safe bowl 30-60 seconds until melted). Stir in vanilla until blended.
3. Drain dates and puree in food processor or mash with fork and stir into honey and nut butter mixture
4. Pour nut butter mixture over cereal mixture, stirring until coated (use a wooden spoon at first, then get your hands in it. It will be sticky, but this way you can really coat everything. Just scrape off your hands when you’re done).
5. Press mixture firmly into an 8-inch square pan (sprayed with nonstick cooking spray) using a large square of wax paper (really tamp it down).
6. Cool in pan on a wire rack, then chill at least 30 minutes to help it set.
7. Cut into 12 bars. (Wrap bars tightly in plastic wrap and store in the refrigerator).
• 1 cup Rolled Oat’s
• 1/2 cup Peanut Butter
• 1/3 cup Honey
• 1 cup Coconut Flakes
• 1/4 cup Flax Seeds
– if you have a grinder then grind them to make them more digestible but if you don’t have a grinder then don’t worry about it
• 1/4 cup of Protein Powder
• 1 tsp vanilla
• 1/4 cup Hemp seeds
• 1/4 cup Chia Seeds
Mix all ingredients together and if it seems a little dry then add just a little water. Form into little balls. They freeze well.
Combine 1/3 to 1/2 cup quick or instant oats an a zip lock FREEZER bags.
Add additional flavour ingredients, if desired.
To prepare a serving of hot oatmeal: Add a oatmeal packet to mug or bowl (or
leave in baggie for freezer bag preparation). Pour in 2/3 to 1 cups boiling water and stir. Let oats stand for 5-10 minutes to soften and thicken; stir and enjoy.
If using freezer bag, you may want to use a cozy to keep them hot.
FLAVOUR VARIATIONS (use the basic recipe ingredients, plus these additions):
1. Apple Cinnamon Maple — 2 tablespoons dried or 1/4 cup freeze-dried chopped
apples; additional 1/4 teaspoon cinnamon; use maple sugar for sweetener
2. Blueberry — 2 tablespoons dried or 1/4 cup freeze-dried blueberries.
3. Cherry Almond — 2 tablespoons dried or 1/4 tablespoons freeze-dried cherries; 1 tablespoon sliced or slivered almonds.
4. Apricot Ginger — 2 tablespoons chopped dried apricots; 1 teaspoon minced
5. Cranberry Orange Pecan — 2 tablespoons dried cranberries, 1 teaspoon dried orange
peel bits, 1 tablespoon chopped pecans.
6. Pineapple Coconut — 2 tablespoons dried or 1/4 cup freeze-dried chopped dried
pineapple, 1 tablespoon freeze-dried coconut
7. Raspberry Vanilla Bean– 2 tablespoons dried or 1/4 cup freeze-dried raspberries, 1/4
teaspoon ground vanilla powder
8. Peach (or Mango) Macademia Nut — 2 tablespoons chopped dried peaches (or
mangos), 1 tablespoon chopped macadamia nuts
9. Cocoa Banana — 1/4 cup chopped freeze-dried bananas (dried banana chips not
recommended), 2 teaspoons cocoa powder
10. Peanut Butter Banana — 1/4 cup chopped freeze-dried bananas (dried banana chips
not recommended), 1 tablespoon PB2 peanut butter powder
11. Mocha — 1 teaspoon cocoa powder, 1/2 teaspoon instant espresso powder
• ½ cup granola of choice
• 1 Tbsp skim milk powder
• Dried or freeze dried fruits, nuts, etc (Optional)
• At home: Place all ingredients together in a zip lock baggie.
• At Camp: Add ¼ cup hot or cold water.
• Stir and eat immediately so the granola doesn’t get soggy
• 2⁄3 cup couscous
• 1⁄4 cup dried chopped pineapple
• 1⁄4 cup ground freeze-dried blueberries
• 2 Tbsp ground freeze-dried bananas
• 2 Tbsp brown or raw sugar
• 1⁄2 tsp ground cinnamon
• 1 Tbsp or 1 packet oil (optional)
• 1 ½ cups boiling water
• At home: Place all ingredients (except oil and water) into a medium size
FREEZER zip lock baggie.
• At Camp: Add boiling water and oil and stir. Place in a cozy and allow to sit,
mixing occasionally, for about 10-15 minutes.
• 1 single serving package plain cream of wheat
• 2 Tbsp freeze dried strawberries
• 1/2 tsp ground cinnamon
• 1 tsp sugar
• 1 Tbsp powdered milk
• 1 Tbsp slivered almonds
• At home: Put everything in a freezer zip lock bag.
• At camp: Add enough hot water to cover, stir. Let sit for 5 minutes in a cozy. Stir
again and enjoy.
Cheesy Bacon Mashers can be breakfast or dinner
• 1 ½ cup instant mashed potatoes
• 1/3 cup powdered milk
• 3 Tbsp cheese sauce powder (see notes below)
• ¼ tsp ground pepper
• 3 Tbsp shelf stable bacon or bacon bits
• At home: Pack everything in a quart freezer or sandwich bag. If using shelf stable
bacon, pack it separately.
• At Camp: Add the bacon and 2 ½ cups boiling water. Stir well and let sit till cool
enough to eat.
• Find cheese sauce powder online or in some grocery stores (Bulk Barn is great).
Cheese sauce powder from boxed mac n’ cheese can be used instead, or dice
up 1-ounce of cheddar cheese, add with hot water. You can also add 1 oz
French onion shelf stable cheese (eg: Laughing Cow) to make Cheesy Bacon
Indonesian Rice (one generous serving)
1 cup instant rice
3 tbsp instant bean soup mix
¼ cup unsalted sunflower seeds
3 tbsp currants
3 tbsp chopped dried apricots
2 tbsp chopped dehydrated apples
½ tsp cumin
½ tsp turmeric
Pinch ground coriander
Pinch cayenne pepper or crushed dried chilis
1 tsp dried cilantro
Combine all ingredients in a zip-locking bag.
Boil 1 ¼ cups water. Add contents of bag and simmer for 5 minutes, Stirring frequently.
Leftovers, if there are any, are good for breakfast.
A great breakfast or Dessert
½ cup instant rice
¼ cup powdered milk
1 tbsp custard powder
Dash nutmeg or cinnamon
Handful of dried cranberries or other dried fruit of choice
2 packages of vanilla sugar
Combine all ingredients in a zip-locking bag.
Boil 1 cup water. Add contents of bag and simmer uncovered for 5 minutes, stirring constantly.