Grab and Go Bars
¾ cup margarine
½ cup brown sugar
¼ cup peanut butter
½ cup honey
1 tsp vanilla
2 cups chocolate chips
1 cup chopped dried apricots
1 cup raisins
1 cup wheat germ
1 cup coconut
2/3 cup rolled oats
½ cup sliced almonds ½ cup chopped walnuts
Preheat oven to 325o Melt margarine over low heat. Add brown sugar, peanut butter, honey and vanilla. Stir well to blend. Set aside and once cool, whisk in the egg. In large bowl, combine all remaining ingredients. Pour margarine mixture over top and stir well. Two options for baking: 1. Press into greased 9” x 13” pan and bake for 45 minutes. Cool well before cutting. NB: these are really hard to cut. 2. Line muffin tins with paper liners and fill each about ½ way, pressing dough firmly. Bake for 20 minutes. Yield: about 30 bars. These freeze well.
Combine 1/3 to 1/2 cup quick or instant oats an a zip lock FREEZER bags.
Add additional flavour ingredients, if desired.
To prepare a serving of hot oatmeal: Add a oatmeal packet to mug or bowl (or
leave in baggie for freezer bag preparation). Pour in 2/3 to 1 cups boiling water and stir. Let oats stand for 5-10 minutes to soften and thicken; stir and enjoy.
If using freezer bag, you may want to use a cozy to keep them hot.
FLAVOUR VARIATIONS (use the basic recipe ingredients, plus these additions):
1. Apple Cinnamon Maple — 2 tablespoons dried or 1/4 cup freeze-dried chopped
apples; additional 1/4 teaspoon cinnamon; use maple sugar for sweetener
2. Blueberry — 2 tablespoons dried or 1/4 cup freeze-dried blueberries.
3. Cherry Almond — 2 tablespoons dried or 1/4 tablespoons freeze-dried cherries; 1 tablespoon sliced or slivered almonds.
4. Apricot Ginger — 2 tablespoons chopped dried apricots; 1 teaspoon minced
5. Cranberry Orange Pecan — 2 tablespoons dried cranberries, 1 teaspoon dried orange
peel bits, 1 tablespoon chopped pecans.
6. Pineapple Coconut — 2 tablespoons dried or 1/4 cup freeze-dried chopped dried
pineapple, 1 tablespoon freeze-dried coconut
7. Raspberry Vanilla Bean– 2 tablespoons dried or 1/4 cup freeze-dried raspberries, 1/4
teaspoon ground vanilla powder
8. Peach (or Mango) Macademia Nut — 2 tablespoons chopped dried peaches (or
mangos), 1 tablespoon chopped macadamia nuts
9. Cocoa Banana — 1/4 cup chopped freeze-dried bananas (dried banana chips not
recommended), 2 teaspoons cocoa powder
10. Peanut Butter Banana — 1/4 cup chopped freeze-dried bananas (dried banana chips
not recommended), 1 tablespoon PB2 peanut butter powder
11. Mocha — 1 teaspoon cocoa powder, 1/2 teaspoon instant espresso powder
Cheesy Bacon Mashers can be breakfast or dinner
• 1 ½ cup instant mashed potatoes
• 1/3 cup powdered milk
• 3 Tbsp cheese sauce powder (see notes below)
• ¼ tsp ground pepper
• 3 Tbsp shelf stable bacon or bacon bits
• At home: Pack everything in a quart freezer or sandwich bag. If using shelf stable
bacon, pack it separately.
• At Camp: Add the bacon and 2 ½ cups boiling water. Stir well and let sit till cool
enough to eat.
• Find cheese sauce powder online or in some grocery stores (Bulk Barn is great).
Cheese sauce powder from boxed mac n’ cheese can be used instead, or dice
up 1-ounce of cheddar cheese, add with hot water. You can also add 1 oz
French onion shelf stable cheese (eg: Laughing Cow) to make Cheesy Bacon
A great breakfast or Dessert
½ cup instant rice
¼ cup powdered milk
1 tbsp custard powder
Dash nutmeg or cinnamon
Handful of dried cranberries or other dried fruit of choice
2 packages of vanilla sugar
Combine all ingredients in a zip-locking bag.
Boil 1 cup water. Add contents of bag and simmer uncovered for 5 minutes, stirring constantly.